Community Emergency Response Team (CERT)
There are SBCC campus staff who have been CERT trained. They've attended 24 hours of classroom and hands-on CERT training that included:
- Using a fire extinguisher, turning off gas/water/electricity
- Basic first aid, triage and setting up treatment areas
- Assessing buildings to determine possible structural damage and other hazards
- Search & Rescue of missing or trapped people
- CERT is a nationally standardized training, certified individuals may be mobilized in neighborhoods or another city or county as needed.
CERT In Action at SBCC
- When campus disasters occur, trained CERT staff will be notified by emergency services to assist in response.
- CERT wears green vests and dark green hard hats, and will be seen at evacuation sites and patrolling the campus using their skills to help others.
- If you are CERT certified, to be notified by text, sign up for specific SBCC CERT messaging by texting (no quotes) "Join CERT" to the number 30890. This group would be texted only in the event Security or First Responders need additional resources from our CERT trained staff, such as traffic control, building sweeps or other needs.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to find out about upcoming trainings on campus, free for SBCC employees.
CERT Training at SBCC
CERT is a Federally approved program taught across the United States. The skills you learn will allow you to help yourself, your home, your neighborhood and your campus safely respond to emergencies. SBCC coordinates training through the City of SB, if possible, to be hosted on campus. CERT training may be completed at anytime by employees through the City of SB or other jurisdictions.
For more information, please visit Santa Barbara County's CERT website.